Walkabout with us! ;P

26 February 2010

Canberra - The Capital Territory

Hey, I'm trying to get around to giving you guys some pictures and such... but I've been failing miserably. Anyway, I've got some stuff from Canberra here and a few little tidbits. As I mentioned, Canberra is the capital of Australia (it's name translates to "Meeting Place"), it is located in New South Wales, however it is not the capital of NSW, Sydney is... confused!?! So it is centrally located between Melbourne and Sydney so that neither state capital is the country's capital... it was decided after some disputing between the 2 capitals. The city itself was "designed" by architects Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin (says Wiki, although I was told only Walter had any involvement in it by an ex-Canberrite... I figured I'd mention both just to be safe). The city structure is really neat, everything is located concentrically around the Parliament Building which is built right into a hill. However, the construction on this was expected to take so long, that they built a temporary building first to be the Parliament Building. There is so much about this city that I can't even begin to scratch the surface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canberra), so I'll just post some sights that I saw in my personal walking tour of the city and capital territory. Here is a pic of the New Parliament Building:
It's pretty hard to tell how neat this building looks on the sides from this image, but ther are grassy hills going up either side that end on the roof (right underneath the giant flag pole).
Here is the Old Parliament Building:
They've actually turned this into a museum that I did not have time to explore. Right across the street of this building is a large green area with a giant fountain in the center (similar to DC), and there is a camp of Aboriginal Australians who have made an Aboriginal Tent Embassy for their representation (since many other countries and peoples are represented in some way).
Within the Parliament Building (new of course) you can find an original copy of the Magna Carta:
That was pretty neat to see as well, but flash photography was not allowed of this piece in particular, so what you see is what you get.
On the first day there, Del and I tried to walk to Parliament together, but got slightly off track and ended up walking around the giant man-made lake and ended up at the Australia National Museum (as mentioned in my previous post). This place was pretty neat looking, here is a view from the top of the Parliament Building (notice the Chinese Embassy in the foreground):
Here are 2 more neat photos I was able to take... the first one is The Carillon (a bell tower) that plays a tune every hour, it has 13 bells, and the tall structure in the background is the US-Australian War Memorial (very reminiscent of WWII structures):
The second is the Australian War Memorial, this place has the "Eternal Flame" torch:
And lastly (for now), on our way to and from Canberra, we passed a small town called Holbrook. This was a fascinating town, of course it's the first place we saw our squawky friends the Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo but more interestingly; this town was originally called Germanton, but due to the war, the name was found to be unpatriotic so it was changed to the name Holbrook, after a submarine war-hero (Lt. Norman Douglas Holbrook). Eventually, this giant sub, the H.M.S. Otway, was decommissioned and this little town was somehow able to purchase it. So now you can find this relic in a tiny little town in NSW. Here are 2 shots of this:

Well, that's all I've got for now...

I know you're all looking forward to pics of the apartment, but I haven't worked on them yet. Shame on me! I know, but the truth is, I'm still trying to decide if I should show pics of the 1. empty apartment, 2. partially furnished apartment, or if I should just wait until we have 3. a little furniture (like a couch)... so if you'd like to make suggestions for me as to what you would like to see, please comment here so I can decide more quickly as for what to post. Ta!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh Holbrook! An interesting little town! In Holbrook I was tempted to buy an Akubra hat but I was afraid people would laugh at a Yank wearing an Akubra hat. Tom said that they won't know I'm a Yank if I don't open my mouth so maybe I should get an Akubra hat to wear as a kind of Do not disturb sign... Anyway I also had my first experience with a semi-bogon teenage local who yelled to me "Hey Mate you feel like a drink?...Well you don't look like one!" Ah gotta love the merry old land of Oz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that's right, I wish I heard that one... the same kid did however yell at me to take his picture on the sub... I turned around and photographed the cockatoo instead... I guess I'm a little anti-social haha

    ReplyDelete